(back to the list of all DM-SST meeting minutes)


11:00 PT



Room System

Phone Dial-in

Short : ls.st/dmsst 

Zoom: https://noirlab-edu.zoom.us/j/97839121776?pwd=K1JPeUpSMXFvSXJSa2xORGkyVk5zdz09

Zoom Meeting ID: 978 3912 1776 
Zoom Password: 512314

Dial closest IP: (east coast) and (west coast) then use the Zoom meeting ID 978 3912 1776  as the dialing extension.

For example: 978 3912 1776 @ or: 3912 1776  Password: 512314

Dial-in numbers:

+1 346 248 7799 (US Toll)

+1 669 900 6833 (US Toll) Meeting ID: 936 2540 1560 International numbers available: https://gemini.zoom.us/u/adcUNrbXzS



Discussion items


ItemWhoPre-Meeting NotesNotes and  Action Items
Project/Science Updates

DM Science team has won the 2023 AURA Science Award! Congratulations to everyone on a very well deserved award

PST meeting 2023-05-03 

  • Much discussion around proposed policies for sharing of commissioning-era data. 
  • Current information sharing is very open and ah-hoc, e.g images are pasted in slack channels, confluence pages, github repos, Jira tickets. much of which is open. This needs to change by the time we get to on-sky data taking with LSSTCam due to the 30 day embargo period, prevent leaking of images prior to major events such as SFL. 
  • PST working on a draft policy document for information sharing during commissioning that also maintains free flow of information with teams involved in commissioning. 

The DM-SST meeting is cancelled on 19 June due to the Juneteenth holiday. I would like to hold a catch-up meeting the following week on 26 June. 

  • Members of the SST will get a chance to comment on the draft policy document before if is finalized
Broker Integration 

Eric, Ricard, KT and Leanne discussed Broker integration at a DM-SST focus meeting last week 

  • We should refer to project activities to get Brokers ready as "integration activities" as we have no formal requirements to commission brokers
  • Only data that is already public will be distributed to Brokers during integration. 
  • Broker Integration testing will utilize alerts created from  DC2/DP0.2 alerts 
  • MLG:  Any information on timeline or opportunities for integration with RSP
  • EB: No details on timeline yet. It will involve processing the DP0.2 images to produce alerts. Aim is to get a set of data that allows us to do load and throughput testing. No concern hough if tho Brokers make these public and expose them to users. 
  • LPG: One of the motivators for choosing DP0.2 data was to open up opportunities for Broker - RSP interaction
  • KB: Do we expect any interaction between brokers and commissioning science V&V 
  • EB: Participation in commissioning welcome as scientists. Cannot see how to give the commissioning team alerts. We will start to release alerts as soon as we can. Expect to start regularly issuing alerts post SFL and before the start of the 10yr survey.  
  • EB:  working on a document to define what we need to start releasing alerts 
  • RHL: Is there any value in making alerts with AuxTel?
  • EB: Internally useful yes but not planning to send AuxTel alerts to the Brokers. It is a perception issue – first LSST alerts are issued from a 1m telescope on a small scale of view. 
  • LPG: Can see value in testing this, we should  ask the Brokers . There are no policy issues if we think this is a good ides. 
  • Eric Bellm Contact Broker teams to float the idea of using AuxTel alerts.    LPG: Update 2023-08-15, we have decided not to distribute AuxTel-based alerts and instead use DP0-2 based alerts to ramp up broker integration
Status of minimal calibration system (15 mins)Update from recent discussions on the minimal calibration system for ORR/DR1  prior to presenting to the PST

Deferred to 26 June

Meeting today (RHL + others) to decide how to re-assign Patrick's calibration hardware related activities. 

Grouping of data products from  older DRs into tarballs on tape Jim Bosch 

Topic request from Kian-Tat Lim  – how should we group data products into larger tarballs when we put them on tape?


LPG: First three use cases I expect will mostly executed at scale by the project in a coordinated manner. The last will be executed a lot by the community

RHL: There is a 30-60 (or so) day period during which the raws will still be on disk, we should use that period to do as much spatial optimization as possible before writing to disk 

JB: KT asked for numbers of around 100GB, assume that is that is a minimum. Not sure on a maximum

  • Jim Bosch Incorporate 30-60 day period for raws on disk into the strawman proposal and present to KT  

Next meeting is:  

List of SST tasks (Confluence)

DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • Robert Lupton Clarify the meaning of time in the object table. 1 sentence description in sdm_schemas, can link to a short DMTN.  Update 2022-02-09: Meeting to resolve this on 2022-02-21  
28 Feb 2022Robert Lupton2018-11-05 DM SST F2F Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Gregory Dubois-Felsmann check if SDM standardization is adequately represented in project documents, and whether DMTN-067 should be required.
31 Mar 2022Gregory Dubois-Felsmann2022-02-14 DM-SST Virtual F2F Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Steve Ritz Work with DM and Camera to develop plans for delivering a shutter position-vs-time model  
16 May 2022Steve Ritz2022-03-14 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Gregory Dubois-Felsmann  / Leanne Guy Create a TN that outlines the science use cases and options for compressed PVIs from AP. Present the issue at DMLT VF2F and then the PST.   
13 Jun 2022Gregory Dubois-Felsmann2022-05-09 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Eli Rykoff Report on what information DES used for their decision on using compression?  
25 Jul 2022Eli Rykoff2022-06-06 DM-SST VF2F Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Melissa Graham to draft a proposal for including pz in alert packets  
12 Sep 2022Melissa Graham2022-08-15 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
26 Sep 2022Steve Ritz2022-09-12 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Gregory Dubois-Felsmann  start a technote to write down the details for science end user interface to SED corrections in catalogs  
31 Oct 2022Gregory Dubois-Felsmann2022-08-22 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
31 Dec 2022Leanne Guy2022-06-06 DM-SST VF2F Agenda and Meeting notes
28 Feb 2023Leanne Guy2023-01-23 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Leanne Guy talk to Steve R about presenting plans for the ShearObject table to PST and SciCollab chairs   
20 Mar 2023Leanne Guy2023-02-27 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
31 Mar 2023Jim Bosch2023-02-27 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Leanne Guy  talk to Gregory Dubois-Felsmann to review the original intent of the AFS-related Portal requirements before deciding on a course of action  
29 May 2023Leanne Guy2023-05-01 DM-SST Focus Meeting - Brokers in Commissioning
  • Leanne Guy Prepare to consult the PST on the question of providing compressed PVIs for AP outputs, to cover the period before the data become available in a DR.  
02 Jun 2023Leanne Guy2023-03-27 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Jim Bosch Incorporate 30-60 day period for raws on disk into the strawman proposal and present to KT  
26 Jun 2023Jim Bosch2023-05-08 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Parker Fagrelius Patrick Ingraham  how long will it take to do a scan as described? No need to scan the whole WL range but will require additional points outside nominal lambda range.  
30 Jun 2023Parker Fagrelius2023-03-27 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
31 Jul 2023Colin Slater2023-07-10 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Eli Rykoff , Leanne Guy  Develop a proposal for what calibration processing, hardware, data we actually need and what will be needed for DR1. This has implications for the ORR and for prioritisation of work in commissioning  
31 Jul 2023Eli Rykoff2023-01-30 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Yusra AlSayyad will look to see if there is any effort to help on option 1  
28 Aug 2023Yusra AlSayyad2023-08-14 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes
  • Jim Bosch  Provide a physical example of that a  up on cell table would look like fo the Colin Slater / DAX team to review  
31 Aug 2023Jim Bosch2023-02-27 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting Notes