2pm Pacific Time

Zoom: https://washington.zoom.us/j/98846655020



Topics for discussion:

  • Project updates (Eric Bellm , Ian Sullivan ):
    • two new AP team members!
      • Bruno Sanchez (at IN2P3)
      • Brianna Smart (at UW, Aug 1)
  • Pipeline Performance sprint (Eric Bellm , John Parejko , Meredith Rawls ):
    • kicked off today
    • Umbrella ticket: DM-34623 - Getting issue details... STATUS
  • Pipelines Infrastructure (Krzysztof Findeisen , John Parejko ):
    • Krzysztof: almost got a refactor of the ap_pipe pipeline ready to merge.  Next working on standardization of annotations–Dashboards will have a link to the confluence.
    • "ap_verify in Prompt Processing": there is a successor to Squash planned for operations ("Sasquatch", still influxDB/Chronograf).  Let's discuss what it would take to push metrics from PP.
      • KF: not true that metrics handling is baked into ap_verify!  In gen3, metrics are handled within the pipelines themselves.   Currently pipelines with metrics live in ap_verify, but no reason we couldn't compute metrics in prompt processing (at cost of additional latency etc.)
      • uploading to squash might be harder: square worried about
      • in prompt processing, could defer some of this to a central worker/service
        • ap_pipe could be minimally instrumented (e.g., timing, very cheap metrics), with the rest as afterburners
          • KF: right now metricTask has to re-read all of the inputs–middleware had been thinking about caching of input datasets
          • EB: timing metrics should be fast?  KF: still have to read in the metadata, but it should (?!) be fast.
  • Precursor processing (Meredith RawlsKenneth Herner ):
    • Ken: ready to test refactored diffim when it's available.
    • Meredith: testing Krzysztof's refactor, then ready for HiTS rerun (+ performance sprint)
  • Image differencing algorithms, DCR  ( Ian Sullivan ):
    • replicated diffim in standard configuration to machine precision w/ refactored diffim
    • a few differences in other places, but due to bugs in original ip_diffim
    • running on HiTS, hit some bugs due to metadata name changes
      • JP: we now don't have imageDifferenceTask.  so timingImageDifference is looking for metadata that doesn't exist. 
      • KF: so we'll need to create some new metrics.
      • JP: thinks there are some name changes (anything with ImageDifference).  Old image difference will continue to work with existing configs, but we'll need to
      • JP: had to manually exclude any diffim metrics due to failures.  KF: thinks it's a bug, likely in verify–should be None rather than fail if Task doesn't run.  Has DM-30869 - Getting issue details... STATUS to use new optional inputs facility
      • still trying to run full ap_pipe, failing somewhere in dia_pipe with some kind of filterName issue.  Hopes to try to debug this later this week if others are available.
    • filterLabel warnings: KF: we need to update the templates to newer versions.
    • also, butler uses alphabetical task names to order tasks it thinks can happen at the same time, which messed up QG generation (since getTemplateTask only needs a portion of the calexp, not the whole data product)
      • getTemplateTask fails, retrieveTemplateTask works
      • DM-34811.  see also DM-32725 - Getting issue details... STATUS
  • transinet (Nima Sedaghat, Eric BellmJohn Parejko ):
    • trained transinet now finding SNe in science & templates from DC2
    • was actually hard to verify injected SNe by eye at all!
    • JP reminds us that DC2 sims injected to very faint magnitudes–so delta flux is not enough to be sure that it's detectable
    • Nima: wants to understand how to apply calibration to the two images
      • JP: sent the command
      • NS: need to understand how to inject sources on the fly.  JP: it's just nJy after calibration.  We don't know what delta flux is from DC2
    • started to design interface for applying classification to DIASources, working with JP on interfaces
  • alert distribution (Eric Bellm ):
    • no update.  Frossie reminds me that the service is bitrotting–square has changed phalanx configurations
  • Review CI (https://chronograf-demo.lsst.codes/)
  • Review outstanding action items
  • QA meeting in June:
    • Performance sprint update
    • Report on diffim refactor
  • AOB
    • none

Action Items

DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • Eric Bellm write up retention policy and sizing for APDB  
17 Jul 2023Eric BellmAP Pipeline Meeting, 2023-06-26
  • Eric Bellm dig into alert serialization test in ap_association and ticket ways to improve it  
11 Sep 2023Eric BellmAP Pipeline Meeting, 2023-08-21