This page is a proposal for the acquisition and assignment of computers (some are Virtual Machines - VM) to address OPSIM-547 - Assess how to run showMaf.py as a tool for distributing OpSim results. This issue stems from the need to have a central repository where analysis output for ALL simulation runs are collected for OpSim Team use, as well as a central repository where analysis output for a subset of these runs can be made available to the science community. Currently, Mantis Run Log performs both functions for SSTAR output.
I am finding that the virtual machine "opsimcvs" is not well suited for distributing MAF output for the following reasons:
opsimcvs (now a Virtual Machine - VM - on ops2)
- Simulator code depends on opsimcvs, because it writes to the trackingDB
- Mantis Run Log - current distribution / collaboration for SSTAR output
- holds archives of CVS for Simulator and SSTAR
- runs on CentOS which is not ideal for MAF installation
- current plan is to phase out this machine entirely along with SSTAR and CVS
- ideally, a single machine would perform this central repository function.
Proposal for OpSim by function
A suite of 5 machines could perform the current OpSim functions - two existing machines (ops1 & ops2) one new machine to be acquired (ops3), and two virtual machines to be set up on existing machines.
- development for Simulations (TBD)
- production for Simulations (ops1 & ops2)
- would not need MAF installed or maintained as only Simulator codebase would be maintained
- this solves the problem of different python requirements for the Simulator and MAF
- only run simulations on these machine (as usual, run from /lsst/opsim with all output in this dir, not /home/*)
- 8Gb VM on my laptop
- can use VPN to access ops1 & ops2
- can run MAF on ops1/ops2 DBs over VPN or local sqlite files to test code
- run production MAF on ops3 -> update new code and run or rerun MAF on ops1 or ops2 to create output files
- move output files to ops4 (a VM)
- LSST/NOAO DMZ machine is to come on line imminently
- copy output files from within NOAO (MAF production machine ops3)
- run showMAF.py on an accessible port (8080?)
- specify runs for science community in one trackingDB
- specify runs for OpSim use (most of them) in another trackingDB
Please feel free to add comments or questions and we can discuss at this week's (Oct 1) OpSim meeting.