Kem's demo of OpSim multi-visit wide-fast-deep proposal
- Implemented and tested (same configuration as enigma_1189)
- Includes Galactic, South Celestial Pole, and North Ecliptic Spur proposals.
- 10 year runs. WFD asks for either 2, 3, or 4 visits per field per night.
- Histogram of number of fields with N-visits per field per night shows expected behavior.
- More visits per field per night is harder (smaller fraction successful with 4 visits per field per night requested than 2 visits per field per night).
- Should come up with statistic that takes into account the time between visits.
- MAF analyses done on these runs.
- Mean slew time goes up as you ask for more visits per field per night.
- Total number of visits does go down as you ask for more repeat visits, but not dramatically (all about 2.4 million visits per night)
- Asking for triples and quadruples does not interfere with ability to complete WFD proposal.
Baseline cadence question
- Difference between enigma_1257 and enigma_1189: 1189 might have 2 consecutive observations of a field in SCP and Galactic Plane. This was a unintentional.
- Unclear whether this means enigma_1257 should be the baseline cadence. There are not a lot of instances where this bug comes into play.
- Zeljko would rather stick with enigma_1189 as the baseline cadence.
- Kem thinks enigma_1189 is fine.
Status of other OpSim runs
- All of the runs Zeljko requested should be done by this Friday (July 31)
- Newest version of MAF is running on these runs
- Results should be ready by Wed Aug 6
- Bug in recent implementations of "area coverage".
- Need to wait for Francisco to return to track down the bug.
- Rolling Cadence tests have not been successfully completed.
- Have a few 1-year runs.
- "Swiss Cheese" runs complete (e.g. ops2_1102). Contains 1/10 of WFD. Did okay when run through older MAF. All of the fields complete to ~ 90% of SRD.
- WARNING: more recent run with same MAF parameters gives inconsistent output.
- Kem: User regions uses for WFD should be changed. Apparently, we have been working with an observatory location that is not Cerro Pachon. South user regions go half a degree too far north. North user regions go half a degree too far north. Observatory latitude was off by 0.5 degree, so WFD is asymmetric by 0.5 degree.
- Zeljko: should we look at ops2_1102 and analyze it? Kem: Yes. 1102 is purely WFD. It does not have other proposals. Just trying to optimize rolling cadence.
- enigma_1260, enigma_1261 may be better, but MAF says ops2_1102 is better. However, the MAF run preferring 1102 is an old MAF version. Need to run 1102 with new MAF. Compare to enigma_1260.
- Zeljko: don't yet have metrics that demonstrate Rolling Cadence runs are behaving the way they should. Need to develop that. Kem thinks Peter's transient metric might perform that function.