BrowserRoom SystemPhone Dial-in


  1. Dial: or bjn.vc
  2. Enter Meeting ID: 293724745 -or- use the pairing code

Dial-in numbers:

  • +1 408 740 7256
  • +1 888 240 2560 (US Toll Free)
  • +1 408 317 9253 (Alternate Number)

Meeting ID: 293724745

(back to the list of all DMLT meeting minutes)


10:00am PT


DMLT Meeting Goals

Discussion Items

Guidelines: Propose items in line with the meeting rationale (see above); include as much information in the agenda notes; summarize, don't go into details while on the call; maximize time available for discussion. 



10 minOverdue RFCs

RFCs with "Planned end" past "now".

  • action will be deferred until after Wil has started and after the AMCL push

5 minOutstanding DMLT actions

See links and action item report below.

15 minChange Control Board report

Report from 21 March 2017 Change Control Board meeting.

See also Change requests of interest to DM.

Discussions of:

  • LCR-908 (keep all releases spinning): Included discussion of the interpretation of an LSR-level requirement to make (old) data recomputable on demand. Do we already have to do this? Requires a substantive intra-DM discussion. Mario Juric: we have promised this to users.Gregory Dubois-Felsmann: we have not adequately costed a requirement to maintain a service that can run DR1 code in Year 11 to regenerate non-persisted data products on demand. There is no debate that we are required to maintain enough information (data, code, calibrations) to permit a motivated party to set up the recomputations.
  • Proposed change request to keep Processed Visit Images (PVIs, a/k/a calexps) on disk for active releases: Current baseline is to keep only most recent 30 days and recreate others on demand. Recreation on-demand requires staging raw data from tape and then reprocessing through at least the single-visit level of processing. Latency for a request could be 10s of minutes, more depending on demand and on contention for tape drives. Need to estimate demand.
    • Unknown User (ciardi) to prepare the science case for PVI storage. NCSA will provide an initial sizing estimate.
  • Proposed change request to keep HeavyFootprints on disk for active releases: Current baseline is that these are discarded after processing and must be recomputed by re-running deblending. No clear statement in our design that a HeavyFootprint-recomputation service will be provided.
    • Jim Bosch and DRP to prepare the science case and estimate the amount of storage required.
  • Beth Willman (at CCB meeting last week): Change requests should be submitted before May in order for them to be taken into account in the operations proposal.
  • Mario Juric: aim at "1/2 page" for science cases

Gregory Dubois-Felsmann: suggests that we work toward a more formal internal process for analyzing and flowing down project-level change requests.

5 minAttendance at major meetings

Discuss DM attendance at:

  • Edinburgh (Robert Lupton)
  • Lyon
  • IVOA in Shanghai - Fritz Mueller wants Kenny Lo and Brian Van Klaveren to attend and ...
    • Fritz Mueller will write a justification for this travel (IVOA Shanghai).
  • DMLT F2F meeting - early May in Seattle?  There is a PST meeting scheduled for May 8 and 9 in Seattle, so maybe we can work around this since staff from the East coast will be flying in for this meeting.  

DMLT Travel & Availability This Week

Unknown User (xiuqin) on vacation this week. Gregory Dubois-Felsmann will be on vacation on Tuesday and Friday of next week ( and ).

Matters arising
25 minOther Business
  • Sizing Model Seminar to be presented by Kian-Tat Lim on Wednesday, 3/29, from 11-1 Pacific (BlueJeans 293724745 (DMLT, ls.st/jmc)).
  • Software Distribution Policy - Frossie Economou has been in discussion with Scott Daniel and Mike Reuter re CentOS or binaries; here is a link to discussion notes: 


  • NCSA is asking about requirements for data challenges and operational dress rehearsals, for planning purposes including hardware acquisition; Mario Juric will talk off-line and get this started.


Postponed for subsequent DMLT / proposed for future DMLT:


Add new items here....

Past action items

Recently created open actions (from the ~previous two DMLT meetings):