(back to the list of all DMLT meeting minutes)

In Location


Room System

Phone Dial-in


  1. Dial: or bjn.vc
  2. Enter Meeting ID: 293724745 -or- use the pairing code

Dial-in numbers:

  • +1 408 740 7256
  • +1 888 240 2560 (US Toll Free)
  • +1 408 317 9253 (Alternate Number)

Meeting ID: 293724745


10:15am PT



Discussion Items

Project updates
  • JSR - need one more slide in each deck tying to the performance (overall) presentation from Zeljko. Agreed for DM a SQUASH slide  is probably the thing to add after the verification slides.
    • JSR site to be updated this week
      • we have draft charge - but no reviewers.
      • Slides 1 week before
    • JDR draft report  sent to Victor
      • he will send on as needed for fact check ..
  • Documentation - some discussion on who is on the working group (https://lse-489.lsst.io/)
    • we have Leanne and Jonathan.
    • Leanne will clarify in the charge that it only covers source code documentation.
  •  Operations Readiness Criteria  - Completion criteria - to be made in to doc
  • Some people got back in the shop  in Tucson last week (Ron early, Oliver Friday). 4 hours per day per person. No scrubbers installed yet.
    • limited access to offices 
  • PCW next week
    • Steve welcome kickoff and Victor status
      • people should have watched talk already
      • managers should be on to answers questions - may need webinar link (in email possibly) - Ranpal will find out and inform people.
      • Community complained we ask too much during pandemic..
    • OPS plenary will be similar (webinar)
  • 3 Filter LCRs still pending approval
    • 2 should be in approval pending
    • will be chased up.
  • Discretionary funds ... what happens at year end.
    • not sure what will be available next year
    • Victor will try to figure it out.
  • NOIRLab award to some NOIRlab people for Calibration Telescope Mount Control - badly worded.
  • “Just usual”.
  • Confluence page with key dates & agenda: JDR2020/JSR2020
  • JSR: August 31 – 3 September (4 weeks away)
    • Updates to be made post-JDR (have we made them yet?):
      • Risk slides — adding architecture risk, and new requirements on security exposure needs to be increased (could bump this exposure further, due to Huawei regulations; Jeff Kantor will review).
      • Milestone Gantt chart needs to be added.
  • Document pack.
    • Some documents have already been RFCed and will be in CCB this week.
    • Otherwise, please finish your docs that were in draft for the JDR and make sure they don't say “draft” on them for the JSR.
    • Leanne pushing to get an LCR covering DPDD and DMSR changes in this week.
  • 2020-09-15/17; six weeks away.
  • As usual, there's a suggestion box on the wiki page: please add topics.
Ops Rehearsal #2
  • Happened last week... how did it go? 
    • Details on Confluence.
    • Includes data being acquired with ComCam at the base, transferred to the LDF, ingested into data repositories, and analyzed with DM pipelines.
    • Some network issues during transfers - first night was good.
      • need a better involvement of LHN team next time
  • “It was all fabulous”, says Robert Gruendl.
    • In general, feedback has been positive.
    • The commissioning folks are eager to get another rehearsal scheduled ASAP.
Operations Readiness Criteria
  • Chuck Claver has approached various members of the DM team and requested they contribute to the Operations Readiness Criteria on Confluence in advance of the JSR.
  • Members of the Science Pipelines group discussed this and agreed that:
    • This may need to be a cross-DM effort (e.g. readiness for Data Release Production includes readiness of hardware systems, execution middleware, QA harnesses, etc, not just that of Pipelines);
    • The definition of “operations readiness” seems a little unclear (can it introduce new requirements? can it relax existing requirements? what about things like documentation, which are only implicitly required?)
  • Proposal for a focused DMLT session, with Chuck as an invited guest, to figure out these details.
  • Leanne Guy — arrange a special completion criteria meeting, with Chuck and relevant DMLT folks.  
L2 Milestones

Test Plans due in the next 45 days

Milestones due in the next 45 days

Risks or Schedule

Overdue risks (obligation date passed)

Risk mitigations due at the end of this month

Overdue risk mitigations


Any other businessWil O'Mullane

  • Gregory Dubois-Felsmann attending SPHEREx Risk Board Mon  09:00-11:00 PDT
  • PCW next week — NO DMLT or CCB meetings.


Due this week

Action Items

Confluence Quick Tasks

DMLT-relevant Jira Tickets