Zoom alias :




Metric tracking dashboards

Rubin science pipelines weekly change log and  Github repo:

Status of jenkins jobs and slack channle for notifications:  #dmj-s_verify_drp_metrics slack channel 

Discussion items

ItemWhoPre-meeting notesMinutes
News, announcements and task review


RHL:  Setting up a meeting || to the CAP to deal with problems directly related to data taken on the mountain

ComCAM/AuxTel calibrations, RAT spectroscopy. Role of this meeting is to keep pushing data through the pipelines and available for analysis. Scientific interpretation of the data would happen at a different meeting (probably this one).

Thinking globally about the organization of efforts around collecting data, processing data, and analyzing data. Thinking about the whole lifecycle of the data.

RHL: Move DRP focus from test and deploy to deploy and test. Once something works on a small scale - good enough then through it to the wider QA group.  Early large-scale testing on real data. Example: PSFEx → PIFF.

LPG: Need to define the criteria for pushing a component out. 

CTS: makes sense from RHL perspective of processing LATISS data, but for someone working on HSC data he considerations are not the same. How do we partition the different cadences? Not everyone will work at the bleeding edge. 

CI status, bugs, issues of the week

  • verify_drp_metrics CI jobs
  • Check variation in metrics seen last week 

Why do we have daily apparently randomly fluctuating metric values? NCSA maintenance this morning. Jeff's plan to test two successive runs.

Non-deterministic issue with photometric / astrometric calibrations?

Perhaps due to a config override for FGCM.

One check would be to directly check catalog values output from the Science Pipelines.

Suspicion: non-determinism in the order of input data products in Science Pipelines. Any algorithms that depend on order of input data products could be affected. See DM-32451.

DC2 astrometric repeatability is larger than expected according to Yusra. But maybe DC2 and HSC not directly comparable without a bit of thought about exposure times, atmosphere corrections, etc.TE

Faro Development status 
  • Fall 2021 epic DM-30748 - Getting issue details... STATUS
  • Backlog epic:  DM-29525 - Getting issue details... STATUS
  • Progress on conversion to parquet
  • TeX conversions

TEx is under review. 

Peter working on astrometric.

Jeff working on source selector task.

Dan T working on a matching algorithm to take parquet tables as input. Peter implemented a KDTree to start development with. Matching to a refcat - 1-1 matcher not a n-way matcher. Should look at Dan's matcher. Peter and Dan should talk. 

  • Data processing campaigns  
  • RC2/DC2 reprocessing epic : DM-26911 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • w_2021_40 RC2:   DM-32248 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • w_2021_44 DC2 : DM-32391 - Getting issue details... STATUS
  • AuxTel
  • AP/DiffIm

KB got a ZP estimte for one of the filters (felh0600 filter cuts on at 600nm). ED picked an example exposure for the g-band. KB will do the same ZP estimate analysis on this. Exposure is from a dense field so do not expect processing issues. 

Some config changes coming to deal with getting an astrometircs solution in sparse fields. KB should not need this for the g-band image procesing.  

January plans are to put gri in the filter wheel. 

ED: Next steps? SFP is working. Can we build a skymap?
KB: Effort to get atlas refcat 2 added as a refcat. Get a coarse estimate for the ZP to seed the algorithm. Then run the pm calibrtion as part of SFP. 

Check with Merlin!


Faro for DP0.2

Trying to wrap up coaad analysis - no outstanding issues found so far. 

Potential co-working session ideas here

Last meeting of 2021 on 14 December. Meet again in 18 January 2022

List of tasks (Confluence)

DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • Leanne Guy to talk to Science Pipelines (Yusra) about when do this transfer  
19 Oct 2021Leanne Guy2021-09-28 Science Metric Development Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Leanne Guy arrange to disucss at a future meeting if there are metrics from PDR3 & this paper that we might want to include in faro.   
26 Oct 2021Leanne Guy2021-08-31 Science Metric Development Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Colin to ask about capturing ideas for improvement to the stellar locus algorithm   
30 Nov 2021 2021-11-09 Science Metric Development Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Colin Slater to make a preliminary draft agenda for a workshop to clarify visualization use cases for science verification and validation
Colin Slater2022-04-19 Science Metric Development Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Jeffrey Carlin to review metric specification package organization and the relationship to formal requirements documents
Jeffrey Carlin2022-04-19 Science Metric Development Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Keith Bechtol Schedule a time to have focused discussion on verification package, potentially next status meeting
Keith Bechtol2021-09-14 Science Metric Development Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Keith Bechtol to make a ticket to better understand mapping of these camera and calibration products characterization efforts to verification documents and the focus of these efforts. Discuss with the SCLT
Keith Bechtol2021-09-14 Science Metric Development Agenda and Meeting notes