Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

...

Time
Location
Topic

10am-12pm

NCSA 1040

New science User workspaces: use cases of LSP and requirements Leanne Guy Gregory Dubois-Felsmann

12pm-1:30pm
Lunch on your own
1:30pm-3pmNCSA 1040
  • architecture discussion to make sure we can address all the listed use cases
  • Deployment of LSP

Gregory Dubois-Felsmann

3pm-3:30pm
coffee break
3:30pm-5pmNCSA 1040

LSP review charge and prep-work tasks discussion Leanne Guy Gregory Dubois-Felsmann

Wednesday  

Time
Location
Topic
9am-10:30amNCSA 1040Next to DB processing workflow
10:30am-11am
coffee break
11am-12:30pmNCSA 1040
  • Next to DB processing
work flow continues


12:30pm-1:30pm
Lunch on your own
1:30pm-3pmNCSA 1040talk on SciToken and Oauth2 James Basney Michelle Butler


Image AddedImage Added

3pm-3:30pm
coffee break
3:30pm-5pmNCSA 1040

(This session was in practice used for an extended discussion of SciTokens and the possible role of capability-based authorization. The original agenda items below were moved to Thursday:)

VO standards LSST DM will implement Gregory Dubois-Felsmann

Development status report from DAX team Brian Van Klaveren

list of tasks to do Fritz Mueller

...

Time
Location
Topic
Possible breakout
9am-10:00pm30amNCSA 1040

Identity & Access Management and Security (James Basney, Unknown User (awithers) )

  1. Reminder of the role of the new federated-ID software/service
  2. User management (password change, etc.)
  3. A+A token passing diagram Brian Van Klaverenuser management (password change, etc.)diagrams for
    1. Notebook login and Python access to TAP via pyro
    2. TOPCAT access to LSST data

(The morning agenda items below were more or less covered in the extended Wednesday afternoon session on SciTokens, etc.: )

  1. login page supplied by NCSA for portal access
  2. login and get the token for DAX

10:30am-11am
Coffee break
11am-12:30pmNCSA 1040

Identity & Access Management and Security (James Basney, Unknown User (awithers) )

  • login page supplied by NCSA for portal access
  • login and get the token for DAX
    1. VO standards LSST DM will implement Gregory Dubois-Felsmann (30 min)
      1. (See also Christine Banek's DMTN-090)
    2. Development status report from DAX team Fritz Mueller (15 min)
    3. DAX task list in light of this week's discussions Fritz Mueller (15 min)
    4. LSP instance / deployment / staging discussion (30 min)
      1. Operations concepts for the various instances
      2. What deployment platforms are required to be supported? Only in-house K8s? Cloud?
      3. Ref.: Science Platform Instances - a re-evaluation

    12:30pm-2pm
    Lunch and tour NCSA facility (we can have lunch delivered for those who want to visit the facility)
    2pm-3pm
    1. DM-10 (Portal) descope discussion (30 min)
    2. wrap up, and establish timeline for agreed upon tasks (30 min)

    3pm-3:30pm
    coffee break
    3:30pm-5pmNCSA 1040hack session: DAX set up WebDAV and SUIT access it from portal

    Action Items


    SessionAction Items
    User workspace requirements
    • Need a new term to refer to user-created tables that are do not bring the full spectrum of "Level 3" requirements; i.e., user uploads a random catalog, what do we call that?
      • Context: Gregory suggested that a user could make a "level 3" data product on their home computer, but Frossie suggests this shouldn't be conflated with products stored on the DAC
    • Need to clearly specify that we support a MyDB-type storage of arbitrary data, does not have to be related-in-scientific-meaning to the LSST data products
    • Determine how tables will be uploaded to MyDB, either by Portal or Notebook or external clients.
    • There was a discussion of "direct access to consolidated database", beyond capabilities of IVOA protocols. Need to follow up on whether this is  mediated by DAX services or if some form of more direct connection to consolidated DB is acceptable.
    • Science platform requirements say MyDB reqs are "still in development"
    • Scope effort for providing user-facing crossmatches/comparisons with other surveys, beyond those that are already in-use for Pipelines validation.
    • What are the sizes of user-generated data in existing archives? Our 10% for users is probably too small.
      •  Leanne Guy will ask Gaia archive for user data volumes.
    • What is the story that we will tell reviewers for how external groups will leverage more compute/storage, of their own acquisition, beyond the 10%? What development requirements does such a system impose on us, and what decisions do we need to make to support this "beyond 10%" capability? Do we have appropriate requirements in the baseline, and to support evolving this N-years into operations?
    •  Leanne Guy will write a tech note listing some "Level 3"/"MyDB" science use cases and present first version at SST/DMLT F2F Nov 2018  
    Arch and Blockers
    • Raise at DMLT the question of whether Google is a required deployment target.
    • Raise at DMLT whether the parquet support should be added to the portal.
    • Gregory Dubois-FelsmannColin Slater and Michelle Gower will discuss what type of story we should write up w.r.t. submitting jobs to the batch system from the notebook.
    •  Kian-Tat Lim will write some initial options for resource measurement and metering.
    • John Maloney to write up options for LSP application logging infrastructure
    Next-to-DB
    • Having parquet replication instead of replication inside of qserv has an impact on operational recovery; Are we willing to accept this?
    • Implicit in the parquet+dask/spark scenario is that the data would be stored separately from the compute resources. Are the network resources sufficient to support this?
    Authentication and Authorization
    • Brian Van Klaveren will update DMTN-094 to describe a proposed design.
    • Brian Van Klaveren aim to bring this up at the November IVOA, if possible.
    • Kian-Tat Lim to raise at DMLT that the DMTN-094 proposal would require a token server to be built and is not yet assigned to a WBS.
    • Colin Slater to raise the A&A/security usage patterns at SST, develop a document describing the user stories.
    • In the Thursday A&A session, Kian-Tat Lim proposed to write up the identity-based authentication system as an initial sufficient system to build. The more sophisticated capabilities-based system could be developed as an evolution of that, closer to or during operations.
    • DMTN-094 update should include a comparison to what other archives are implementing.
    • Kian-Tat Lim Gregory Dubois-Felsmann to write up options for standardizing the names and meanings of capabilities. Proposed methods are: 1) change-controlled document 2) shared library 3) shared service.
    • After we codify our DMTN-094-level design, we need to collaborate (via IVOA) on improving the authentication capabilities of non-LSST clients (topcat, pyvo). Arch team responsibility?


    Pre-Meeting Planning

    Suggested topics for discussion

    ...

    10.5.18- updated rooming list

    ...

    ...


    ...

    LUNCH

    Food nearest NCSA:

    • Daily Byte (sandwiches); NCSA Lobby
    • Daily Byte II (sandwiches); Electrical Engineering Building lobby (1 block east)
    • Einsteins (sandwiches); Siebel Center lobby (next building south)
    • Beckman Café (cafeteria-style; sandwiches and hot entrees with vegetarian & vegan options); Beckman Institute (1 block east-northeast)
    • Other (north and east on University Ave):
      • Burger King
      • Perkins
      • Dairy Queen
      • Taco Bell
      • Niro’s Gyros

    ...

    ...