Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Infrastructure meetings take place every other Thurs. at 9:00 Pacific on the BlueJeans infrastructure-meeting channel:



    • Alignment of NCSA-provided services with program needs
    • Ensure effective use of the current NCSA infrastructure
    • Refinement and continuous improvement of services, resources and processes
    • Plan for near- and medium-term activities

  • Discussion items
Review of last meeting notes
  • None

lsst-dev-db Setup

A few questions:
  • Who else should I interact with as I work on a tentative plan for this? Perhaps Fritz, Serge, etc?
    • The TCAMS may request capabilities, libraries, whatever
    • Fritz is PoC for UDF's.
    • The infrastructure group is the de facto place for discussions.
  • - Once I have a plan for any changes/upgrades, do we need to process an RFC for this?
  • - Do we need the full sciSQL package(s)? I remember we had problems with these recently.
    • Yes.
  • - I’d like to move to MariaDB 10.x (primarily for allowing SSL clients). Any idea how new we can upgrade to?


  • ~10 active users
  • General purpose resouce
  • Groups: Pipelines, SUIT, qserv
  • Used to store persistent Jupyter info
  • Numerous near-term needs

Upcoming needs:

  • Reprocessing of the HSC data
    • Need to know how big, how many sets... full characterization of the capacity & throughput needs
    • need feedback from DMLT
    • Hsin-fang may be able to give us an idea of the capacity needs

qserv master upgrade statusUnknown User (pdomagala)
IHS-388: security vetting for
L1 Orchestration Test StandBill Glick
  • All 10 chassis have arrived - installing chassis this week
KubernetesSimon KrughoffCan we provide input on how the bare metal Kube cluster at NCSA is set up?

Topics for next meeting

  • FY18 Capabilties, input on Criticality and concerns.

Action items

Please enter action items in the form

Responsible Person, Due Date, Description


  1. The procumbent plan calls for hosting many dbs schema in a consolidated database.  The Technology presented at the Review is ORACLE.   The procurement is executed FY2017, and I believe is in-flight.   We have discussed this a bit,  and understand the role of the consolidated database is for production and production-integration.  WE understand developers need relational  databases as well, and understand that....

    1) There is a variety of needs from those that can be satisfied by SQLLite, but also an unmanaged resource such as LSST DB is needed.  

    2) That it's on the software environment to provide transperanct among these environments. 

    3) The plan is to provision the Science portal for Staff with this resource.  and to make a smaller analogous environment for the commissioning cluster at the Base.

  2. Here is a brief status on the identification of the operating infrastructure for the Kubernetes purchase.  

    We understand that the KUBE work is rapidly evolving and, in the budget request, have  requested  resources to 

    investigate and integration test Kubernetes environment as they evolve, as the KUBE world is not seen as stable.

    Significant work has been done on establishing an environment based on OpenShift, the most recent status is that

    after more than a little work, me may have a repeatable installation environment set up.  We are attracted to Openshift

    in part because of operationally important features in that distribution that are not present in other distributions we have investigated. 

    1. Donald Petravick it sounds like you are leaning toward OpenShift.  Do you know when the decision on the platform will be finalized?

  3. I am asking Kaylyn Rogers to attend the next meeting, as she has been involved in the FFY18 capacity request that will have been shown to the project, and I think will be helpful if there are comments in this meeting.