Question from Igor: will the hardware refresh include SSD?
Question from Fabio: Target rate for external i/o is 3 GB/s. Latency is currently 110ms. Bandwidth is 10 Gb/s. Currently limited by carrier bandwidth, but will going 20Gb/s dedicated ~June this year. External i/o requirements should be taken into account with the h/w refresh. Same issues will exist with Chile.
Bill Glick's proposed hardware refresh
I’m trying to schedule an extended maintenance date for LSST’s lab hardware refresh. This would be a full-day outage of most LSST developer resources at NCSA and would include the following systems:
- lsst-web (lsst7)
- lsst-dbdev environment
- lsst-daq test stand
- lsst-dbb (data backbone) test stand
- lsst-elast (elastic compute) test stand
This outage will be for rack, PDU, and networking upgrades for the LSSTdev environment housed in NCSA 3003. It probably needs to be a 8a-5p CDT outage.
Questions at this point…
- How does Thursday, July 20, 2017 look for this outage? (This would be the date of our monthly maintenance.)
- Anything on the calendar that makes this a bad time?
- Should we consider an alternate time near mid-July for this?
NOTE: We are still waiting on orders to be processed, a new network aggregation router to be installed, and electrical work — all of which is in process and unclear when will be completed. So this date would be tentative, but would also give us a target date for getting things ready.
Sr System Engineer - NCSA - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign