Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

(back to the list of all DMLT meeting minutes)

In Location

Browser

Room System

Phone Dial-in

https://bluejeans.com/293724745/

  1. Dial: 199.48.152.152 or bjn.vc
  2. Enter Meeting ID: 293724745 -or- use the pairing code

Dial-in numbers:

  • +1 408 740 7256
  • +1 888 240 2560 (US Toll Free)
  • +1 408 317 9253 (Alternate Number)

Meeting ID: 293724745

Time

10:15am PT

Attendees

Excused

Discussion Items

ItemWhoNotes
Project updates

Joint Agency Quarterly progress meeting, 5 hours Tuesday April 28.

  • few slides on progress in last quarter.
  • How to get restarted. 
  • Was to be in Chile to show progress. 
  • More now on how to re baseline.
  • Data Facility and ops review have been distracting the agencies. 

Ops review - clearly dependent on re-baseline. 

  • Mentioned that DF and schedule made the committee feel a bit lost since the review was still of a proposal.
  • Chuck mentions non labor such as spares especially high cost items. Also suggestion to buy spares now while Peso is favorable. Fairly positive in general not many significant actions.
  • Zeljko points out that 2/3 of ops team come from construction but not everyone is aware.  Bob, Amanda and Victor will talk about how to make this better know to people in the  project.

Ranpal:

  • Logo development plan meeting today with Victor + others. Survey to go out to everyone. 
  • Detector engineering NOIRLab workshop last week — we were unaware and no one from the project attended. There will be more will try to make sure people are notified of similar meetings in future.
  • Spain shutdown to May 9th; new visa appointments for Wil & Ranpal on June 24 (was May 8).

Victor mentions that at least one L2 NOIRLab manager will come from Rubin in the next week or two. These are all AURA internal.

Zeljko:

Chuck Claver, Kevin Reil:

  • ComCam is taking images (no filter changer yet; needs another lift)

Jeff Barr:

  • Will try to do some work during next visit to the summit (electrical and casino).
  • Louver fabrication contract setup - some industrial capability starting up in Italy (and Spain).
  • Dome software advancing well - software is progressing in lock down.
  • No idea when restrictions will be lifted in Chile.

Vincent Riot:

  • Possibly close out Camera project and move money to commissioning. Camera project at risk in MIE due to Covid-19 (due to reporting). 
  • SLAC talking about getting back to work - Masks etc, 3 - 6 months . LSSTCam is considered critical so will be allowed back as early as possible.

Chuck Gessner:

  • Back to work in Tucson potentially end of month (if state restrictions lifted). Tohono O'odham Nation extended lockdown to June 4.
    • We note there are obvious problems with this when schools are closed.
    • From the DM perspective, there will be no rush back to work until everything is safe.
CCB
  • Usual few issues escalated.
Joint Agency Review of Operations
  • Successfully completed!
  • Thanks to everybody who participated.
  • Recommendations for Data Production:
    1. Strongly pursue resolution of the location of the operations phase US DF. This decision lies in the critical path for Data Production, and critical decisions and risk mitigation cannot proceed without this decision.

    2. Develop a detailed schedule and cost impact estimate  for the projected (April 2021) delay in the resolution of the US DF. Provide guidance for  possibility of additional 6 month delay.

    3. Develop a plan for start of Data Production with the currently projected delays due Covid-19, and potential construction project re-baselining. This plan should include schedule and cost impact estimates for an additional 6 month delay beyond the current projected baseline.

    4. Expand staffing level validations  to include additional comparisons data production projects of similar size.

    5. Re-evaluate staffing levels in the Middleware and Algorithms teams for the second half of the survey and consider maintaining these teams at full strengths.

    6. Develop strategies to retain expertise from the construction project as personnel funding shifts from NSF to DOE

    7. Increase the sophistication of the storage and compute sizing models by including projected  evolution of the processing power, decreased processing core costs, and evolution of algorithm sophistication. Potential models for investigating these trends can include historical trends observed over decade-long data production projects (Gaia, FERMI, LHC etc).

  • Recommendations for System Performance:
    1. Consider strengthening the Verification and Validation team by the addition of a software engineer who would work on incorporating state-of-the-art techniques (e.g. machine learning) for a software solution that enables quick diagnosis of problems and scales well with time and data.  [Report on this by October 2020]

    2. Consider the addition of 1-2 additional FTE within the Community Engagement Team (CET) given its broad scope and for better coverage of the science goals. The success of the Community Engagement Team is key for maximizing the publication of scientific results on the four Rubin pillars as well as for uncovering potentially new territory.  [Report on this by October 2020]

  • There was no mention of cybersecurity at this review (cf Director's Review, a few weeks ago).
    • There was some confusion in science collaborations about requests that went out from Bob/PST/someone about cybersecurity. But “no long term harm done”.
DMLT F2FJohn Swinbank
  • In 3 weeks.
  • Please add topics to the suggestion box by this time next week.
    • Suggestion to spread over more days for smaller time per day.

Test Plans due in the next 45 days

Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
Loading...
Refresh

Milestones due in the next 45 days

Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
Loading...
Refresh

LDM-503-06 — Michelle looking to see if this is something that could be done in with ComCam at the Base.

  • Michelle Butler — check whether LDM-503-06 can be completed with ComCam at the Base.  
Risks or Schedule
Any other business
  • SPIE news will be forthcoming.
DMLT travel & availability this week

RFCs

Overdue

Key Summary Reporter Assignee Created planned end
Loading...
Refresh

Due this week

Key Summary Reporter Assignee Created planned end
Loading...
Refresh

Action Items

Confluence Quick Tasks

DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • Kian-Tat Lim  & Michelle Butler  — propose a design and schedule for deploying a rapid processing system at the LDF.  
29 May 2020Kian-Tat LimDMLT Meeting - 2020-03-02
  • Michelle Butler  & Gregory Dubois-Felsmann  — identify existing requirements, or suggest new requirements, for a user-facing ”bulk-download“ service (but not under that name).  
05 Jun 2020Michelle ButlerDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-02-25 to 27
  • Gregory Dubois-Felsmann  — update the Science Platform design documentation to reflect that data access services should be tested with PyVO.  
01 Jul 2020Gregory Dubois-FelsmannDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-05-12/14
  • Wil O'Mullane — send out Doodle polls for calendar 2021 DMLT meetings.  
21 Sep 2020Wil O'MullaneDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17
  • Wil O'Mullane — update the Developer Guide to reflect the plans for a Quiet Day.  
21 Sep 2020Wil O'MullaneDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17
  • T/CAMs — at the next T/CAM call, consider plans for appropriately tracking schedule/variance in the era of Covid.  
25 Sep 2020 DM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17
  • Yusra AlSayyad  — provide a timeline for complete pipeline conversion to Gen3.  
28 Sep 2020Yusra AlSayyadDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17
  • Leanne Guy — agree Gen3 acceptance tests for November 1.   DM-26798 - Getting issue details... STATUS
28 Sep 2020Leanne GuyDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17
  • Michelle Butler — understand the parameter space for getting a “long term lease” on an SSH connection to NCSA, and discuss with Wil O'Mullane what wiggle room we have.  
28 Sep 2020Michelle ButlerDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17
28 Sep 2020Robert GruendlDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17
  • John Swinbank Arrange focused brainstorming meeting with RHL, TIm, Chris , Jim, Yusra, John - to get DMTN-148 further updated . Should at least list all calibration cases even if not solved.  
30 Sep 2020John SwinbankDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17
05 Oct 2020Wil O'MullaneDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17
  • Fritz Mueller — write a SOW for APDB POC on a cloud provider. 
05 Oct 2020Fritz MuellerDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-09-15/17

DMLT-relevant Jira Tickets

Key Summary Reporter Assignee Created Due
Loading...
Refresh