Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


BrowserRoom SystemPhone Dial-in

  1. Dial: or
  2. Enter Meeting ID: 293724745 -or- use the pairing code

Dial-in numbers:

  • +1 408 740 7256
  • +1 888 240 2560 (US Toll Free)
  • +1 408 317 9253 (Alternate Number)

Meeting ID: 293724745

(back to the list of all DMLT meeting minutes)


10:15am PT



DMLT Meeting Goals

  • Weekly meeting to keep the DM leadership team coordinated, informed, and in agreement on the vision, priorities, and challenges facing DM construction, including surfacing and resolving issues and ambiguities needing our attention. The goal of this meeting is to provide information and decisions that help each one of us better direct our own (or our team's) activities.

Discussion Items

Guidelines: Propose items in line with the meeting rationale (see above); include as much information in the agenda notes; summarize, don't go into details while on the call; maximize time available for discussion. 



Project updates
  • A reminder that Leanne Guy is invited to the management meeting on Monday morning.
    • (But is not required to be there).
Test specs due in the next 45 days

T Key Summary Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution Created Updated Due

  • One test spec overdue DM-16073 - Getting issue details... STATUS .
  • Michelle Butler Follow up on test plan for LDM-503-08b; make sure DM-16073 - Getting issue details... STATUS .  
  • Wil O'Mullane Clarify whether Jira tickets refer to test specs or test plans.  
Hardware BudgetWil O'Mullane
  • Need to take care to buy what we need (barely) so we have plenty for later.
  • Do we need all the K8 Nodes?
    • The intention was that the would be used for running Dask.
    • Supporting e.g. 40 stack club folks.
    • Can be scaled back to support fewer users doing fewer things.
  • Can we test Qserv at scale on Google?
    • In the short term, yes.
    • Longer term, there is risk exposure from not running on the system that would actually be deployed in operations.
  • Leanne Guy asks: where should enthusiastic science collaboration users be given access?
    • Not clear how this fits into the hardware budget.
Meetings next weekJohn Swinbank
Overdue RFCs
Change Control Board report
  • Change requests of interest to DM
  • HiPS image generation was approved, but then stumbled over costing; should now be resolved.
  • Kian-Tat Lim aiming to get header service LSE-400 this week.
    • Will include explicit header appendix (hooray!).
Open todo items

Report from Science Platform workshop
  • Walked through the LSP FDR charge, leading to submission of RFC;
  • Walked through User DB Workspace issues; Leanne asked to provide formal set of use cases; must be digested into design in time for the review;
  • Reviewed authorization architecture alternatives; rejected "pure capabilities-based" architecture as poorly suited to needs, at least with our resources; KT to write up memo with BvK on the pure-identity and mixed models discussed, with pure-identity, group-membership-based auth'z'n as an initial phase;
  • Reviewed new plan for internal and external use of IVOA standards (see DMTN-090); Gregory will RFC as a change to LSP Design, LDM-542;
  • Adopted CADC TAP service Java code base as the core of our planned TAP service (following Christine's nice demo); Fritz to document this and describe the development required to fully adapt/extend it to our design (edited)
  • Examined demo of Dask integrated with Jellybean; discussed Dask, Spark, and other "next-to-DB" issues
  • Looked at demos of closer Firefly-JupyterLab integration and of Firefly LSST detection footprint browsing

(The above are lifted from Gregory Dubois-Felsmann on Slack)

  • Progress working through A&A issues.
    • There will be a memo forthcoming from Kian-Tat Lim et al on this.
    • This will be at a level which enables detailed costing.
  • There are action items on the meeting page; immediate aim should be to address those.
DMLT travel & availability this week
  • John Swinbank in the UK all week; available but seven hours shifted.
  • Wil O'Mullane in Chile traveling back Wednesday night (so not really available Wednesday Tucson working time).
  • Margaret Gelman at LBNL for DESI operations review
No Monday telecon next week due to the DMLT face-to-face meeting.
  • Overdue RFCs

Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution

Past action items

Open DMLT actions

DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • Kian-Tat Lim  & Michelle Butler  — propose a design and schedule for deploying a rapid processing system at the LDF.  
29 May 2020Kian-Tat LimDMLT Meeting - 2020-03-02
  • Michelle Butler  & Gregory Dubois-Felsmann  — identify existing requirements, or suggest new requirements, for a user-facing ”bulk-download“ service (but not under that name).  
05 Jun 2020Michelle ButlerDM Leadership Team Virtual Face-to-Face Meeting, 2020-02-25 to 27