Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date & Time 

  11:00 PDT

Location

Browser

Room System

Phone Dial-in

Zoom: http://ls.st/dmsst

or 

https://noirlab-edu.zoom.us/j/97839121776?pwd=K1JPeUpSMXFvSXJSa2xORGkyVk5zdz09


  1. Dial: 199.48.152.152 or bjn.vc
  2. Enter Meeting ID: 103664856 -or- use the pairing code

Dial-in numbers:

  • +1 408 740 7256
  • +1 888 240 2560 (US Toll Free)
  • +1 408 317 9253 (Alternate Number)

Meeting ID: 927260081

Attendees

Regrets

Discussion items

 ​

ItemWhoPre-Meeting NotesNotes and  Action Items
Project/Science Updates
  • No PST meeting last week
  • Subsystem scientists preparing job specs for 2 positions to replace Bo, one for an active optics scientist, another for a system performance scientist. 
  • Rubin all hands on 9 Dec. 
  • Rubin-Euclid DDP WG: 2021-12-21 to wrap up the report and submit to the Oversight Committee. There will be a presentation at AAS on the WG's work. 


Access to the Rubin-Euclid DDP report draft is only possible through the associated community forum.
Special Programs

Special Programs study epic: DM-20374 - Study to understand the implications for special programs on DM IN PROGRESS

Slides for today: 

GPDF: Is ToO considered a part of special programs or a  category?  It is not WFD but unlike other SPs, which are planned, it is unplanned. 

MLG: The WFD does cover the GP.  DDF is also in the  WFD area but is considered a SP. A region  that is different from the WFD area or that has a different cadence (even if in the WFD area) is considered a special program. A SP wil produce its own data products different from the WFD. 

Is a SP defined in a programatic sense, e.g observationally or in a data procesing sense, e.g specialized confugurations of the pipeline?

EB: The GP in the 2.0 baseline is excluded from WFD -  there is a  low extinction footprint that excludes all of the plane. Are we talking about scheduler driven proposal IDs as defining SPs or are we saying something about the pipelines?

GPDF: Three axes of categorization: by scheduler programme IDs, by type of processing, and by grouping of the resulting data products for user accessibility. 

MLG: For today's coversation, we will consider SP as observations that result in a separate DP from the WFD DPs. Focus on DM concerns for today. 

  • Leanne Guy Melissa Graham follow up on getting a project wide definition of SPs. Relevant for scheduler/survey strategy/commissioning.  

GPDF: For DDFs, will the same coaddition code as for the WFD work? What different tuning/configuration, etc. is needed to handle deblending, etc. at that depth?

RHL: where is the line btw tweaking cfgs v writing specialized code? We've said that we will not do shift-and-stack searches for faint TNOs, yet it's easier to write the loop to do those than to tweak the deblender to go 20 times deeper.

GPDF: Whose responsibility is it to deliver? DRP? Where will the human resources come from?  Note that we have to make this work anyway at 20yr depth for commissioning and validation purposes, so perhaps we're covered through DR2 - but eventually someone will have to make this work at 100-year depth and beyond.

RHL: How much effort will DRP put into configuring pipelines for commissioning/DDFs?  

JB: need to fine tune params at least to not run out of memory and  maintain the same algorithmic behaviour.  We'll get data with a large range of depths early on in the survey so need to be able to run the pipelines at a range of depths without requiring custom tuning.

GPDF: Calibration of main survey with DDF data is a concern, Will we need to process the DDF data exactly the same as for the WFD? 

RHL: Process the full  10 and 20yr depth in commissioning. We need to get this far in commissioning. 100/200 yr depth tuning will be a longer term task. 

Leanne Guy Robert Lupton Follow up to work out where resources will come from  to tune pipelines  for 10/20 yr depth in commissioning.  

GPDF:  Getting usable metadata to users for DP0.1 has not been a trivial exercise, e.g for out-of-focus data, high-airmass data .. etc. Need to look more at the needed technical capabilities. DM-13740 - Getting issue details... STATUS  to  transition back to 'in progress'.  GPDF to define the work to do after the baseline 2.0 is released. 

DM-12577 - can fall under user batch/N2D - Gregory Dubois-Felsmann will close this one. 

For the DM-SST F2F in February. 1) get update on the v2.0 strategy at the F2F - invite Lynne. 2) Keith Bechtol  to give a summary of commisisoning data taking plans and a high-level view of the  datasets we'll collect. 

EB: auxtel testing  with shorter exposure times with the smaller aperture is  progressing.  

GPDF: Was short exposures flowed down to AP? Does not look like it.  EB confirms no testing on simulated 1sec exposures to date  Melissa Graham Open ticket to ensure this is flowed down.  Done:  DM-32722 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Shutter open/close : 2sec. Designed to get uniform illumination for 1 sec exposures.  reason for "midpointTAI" 

Leanne Guy  to follow un on  DM-12575 - Getting issue details... STATUS for effort needed for  commissioning. 

Construction is committed to DDFs so is it the construction project's  responsibility to produce a pipeline to process SPs.  This will be needed during commissioning. Take to PST/commissioning. 

Many general concerns on commissioning will getsquished further. Many science drivers for DDFs but not so for many other science 


AOB
  • A special meeting will be held next week, 2021-12-06 on the Gen3 middle ware testing. 
  • 2022-02-14 DM-SST Virtual F2F Agenda and Meeting notes - draft page in place. Please add and vote on topics to discuss. Note this is a hybrid meeting, in-person component will be in Tucson

Next and final meeting of 2021  is   



List of SST tasks (Confluence)

DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • Eric Bellm Create RFC for three-stamp alerts, to communicate and garner feedback  
31 Dec 2021Eric Bellm2021-11-15 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Robert Lupton Clarify the meaning of time in the object table. 1 sentence description in sdm_schemas, can link to a short DMTN.  Update 2022-02-09: Meeting to resolve this on 2022-02-21  
28 Feb 2022Robert Lupton2018-11-05 DM SST F2F Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Robert Lupton and Leanne Guy — review all columns in the Source & DIASource table and decide whether to remove or move to a different table. The decisions on justification should be recorded in these tables. Proposed changes will be reviewed at a future SST meeting before going to LCR. Update 2022-02-09: Meeting to resolve this on 2022-02-21  
28 Feb 2022Robert Lupton2018-11-05 DM SST F2F Agenda and Meeting notes
  • Gregory Dubois-Felsmann Submit an RFC for the compressed-PVI requirements. Make clear that the requirement on quality may require further discussion can be postponed, and should not delay moving forwards on the 6 functional requirements, which need to be approved soon.   
27 May 2022Gregory Dubois-Felsmann2021-01-11 DM-SST Agenda and Meeting notes