Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees

  1. Gregory Dubois-Felsmann (local)
  2. Unknown User (xiuqin) (local)
  3. David Shupe (local)
  4. Trey Roby (local)
  5. Unknown User (cwang) (local)
  6. Loi Ly (local)
  7. Tatiana Goldina
  8. Fritz Mueller
  9. Frossie Economou
  10. Simon Krughoff (split with DESC?)
  11. Adam Thornton
  12. Angelo Fausti
  13. Brian Van Klaveren
  14. Nate Pease (Tuesday through Thursday)
  15. Kian-Tat Lim
  16. Kenny Lo
  17. Igor Gaponenko
  18. Vaikunth Thukral
  19. Andy Salnikov
  20. John Gates (Monday through Wednesday)
  21. Christine Banek (in-person), Unknown User (jmatt) / Unknown User (bemmons) (remote)
  22. Unknown User (awithers) (probably Monday through Wednesday)
  23. Steve Pietrowicz (Monday through Thursday)
  24. Arfon Smith (STScI Monday through Wednesday ?) dial in potentially Mike and Iva
  25. Colin Slater
  26. ? (please fill in)

Remote attendance will be possible but in-person participation will be strongly encouraged.

Remote access

We will use SUIT BlueJeans for this conference.

IP: 199.48.152.152

code: 319856717

URL: https://bluejeans.com/319856717/

Block Agenda

Note: there are many questions called out below as needing answers.  We will try to pre-discuss a number of them and present a proposed answer at the workshop for confirmation.  We don't expect to discuss everything "live" at length.

We are currently planning for relatively long breaks, to encourage spontaneous followup discussions, and we are not planning "working lunches" in a meeting of this many days - we hope stretching our legs will help us think better!

Monday  

Time
Location
Topic

13:30-15:00

13:30-14:30





14:30-15:00

MR102

770 S Wilson Ave., Pasadena

Review basic documentation (not fully approved after the DM review)

(1) LSP requirements document LDM-554:

  • Incorporate API Aspect requirements
    • Requires pre-meeting preparation
  • Incorporate Notebook Aspect requirements
    • Mostly done but not folded in yet? Pre-meeting preparation
  • Identify work required on performance requirements - expected to be needed to drive testing
  • Identify any missing items and associated groups
15:00-15:30
break

15:30-17:00

15:30-16:00


16:00-16:20

16:20-16:40

16:40-17:00

MR102Continued discussion on requirements

Tuesday  

Time
Location
Topic
08:30-10:00KS410

Summary reports from the Aspect groups

(1) Current development, test, and deployment plan ("d.t.d.") for SUIT / Portal Aspect

(2) Current d.t.d. plan for JupyterHub/Lab / Jellybean / Notebook Aspect

(3) Current d.t.d. plan for Data Access / API Aspect

(These are meant to be "as of start of workshop" and it is definitely OK for them to be modified by what is discussed / decided at the workshop.  All reporters are encouraged to comment on areas where they think there is a lack of clarity on scope or on assignment of scope to a group.  All reporters are encouraged to comment on any substantial technology choices or design decisions that remain to be made.)

10:00-10:30
break
10:30-12:00KS410

LSP design discussion: connection among three aspects

  • workspace interfaces in each Aspect
    • "file workspace", i.e., VOSpace/WebDAV (confirm development responsibilities)
    • "database workspace" / "MyDB"
    • How are these accessed in each Aspect?  E.g., is the VOSpace workspace mounted as a filesystem visible in the Notebook Aspect?
  • cross-aspect connections for queries:
    • by user (i.e., by being able to ask the API aspect for "my previously run queries")
    • by query ID returned from an asynchronous query request
    • UI actions for transferring queries between Portal and Notebook
    • use of the workspace for query results
12:00-13:30
Lunch on our own (campus cafeteria or Lake Ave. restaurants)
13:30-15:00KS410

Authentication and authorization

  • login, token passing across Aspects
  • granularity of access rights
    • This is about the "toolkit" we give to the operations team, not about our making policy decisions in this workshop.
    • Should we implement separate rights for each Aspect (e.g., "may use the Notebook Aspect")?  This may be useful for managing abusive users.
    • Should we plan for the possibility of data rights separated by Data Release?  (E.g., if you had rights to DR3 because you were a grad student of someone with data rights, and then you move back to your home country, can you retain DR3 access for some time, perhaps while you finish a paper, without being granted DR4 rights?)
    • What is the granularity of control we give to users to manage access to user-created ("Level 3") data?
  • what is the programming model for testing whether a user has a specific right?  Just by attempting the operation desired, or is a "pre-verification" possible?
  • user management
    • What is the API and/or UI for self-service group management?  (E.g., for users to create collaborations that can have rights?)
  • user profiles
    • Quota management
    • Does NCSA provide a flexible profile service (e.g. a key-value store for each user)?
15:00-15:30
break
15:30-17:00KS410

LSP architecture and deployment

  • Complete discussion of the role of each of the five (six?) LSP instances
    • rough feature-deployment schedule and cycle for all the LSP instances
    • when / where is the first integration of the Notebook Aspect with the others (on PDAC?)
    • 2018 priority: Science Validation LSP deployment planning: schedule, expectations, datasets, etc.
  • NCSA hardware plans
  • deployment architecture: K8s, docker
  • Plan for completion of documentation of full LSP deployment architecture
    • Define all sub-components and identify internal interfaces
    • Identify specific architectural issues for follow-up
    • SysML?

Wednesday  

Time
Location
Topic
Possible breakout
08:30-10:00KS410

API Design and AAIM discussion

  • Authentication and security for all exposed APIs
    • API for workspace(VOSpace?) access, including security token pass
    • API for "next to DB" data processing
    • How does each Aspect run code as the logged-in user?  (I.e., how do the Aspect do "setuid-like" things when needed?)  A/k/a "userid mapping".  Do all users actually have separate NCSA Unix/NIS-type identities?
    • Programming model for 3rd-party tool developers (e.g., TOPCAT) (time permitting)
  • AAIM team delivery schedule

(Unknown User (awithers) leaves at the end of this session)


10:00-10:30
break
10:30-12:00KS410

Deployment issues

  • Needs for each aspect: hardware, system access
  • Commissioning Cluster LSP issues
    • When will the computer room be ready?  What are the plans for installation of hardware?

    • What are the first things its users will expect to be able to do?

    • Database and DAX planning for the CC deployment

    • Access to EFD data in the Commissioning Cluster, relationship with EFD-reformatter service
      • Is access to the "raw" EFD required? If so, how?
      • What is the DAX interface to the EFD?  Where does the table and column metadata come from?
  • Cross-aspect access to computing resources (e.g., for Portal extensions that need to run Python code as the user)

12:00-13:30KS410Lunch on our own (campus cafeteria or Lake Ave. restaurants)
13:30-15:00KS410

LSP Data Model

  • How do Science Platform outputs (e.g., afw.table FITS files) become data visible in the LSP?
    • Is this round-trippable?  What is the Python API for access to the DPDD data products in the Notebook Aspect?  Is round-tripping only possible in the Notebook Aspect when run inside a DAC?
    • What is the life cycle of data model metadata (e.g., column metadata like units, UCDs, VO-DML descriptions)?  Is it created "at birth" in the Science Pipelines code?  Or at ingest?  How do database columns get their released names?  Are these all in the table-creation code in afw?
  • RFC-243 - Getting issue details... STATUS - when will we start getting deliberate prototypes of the actual DPDD data products?
  • Butlers in the Notebook Aspect and in Portal extensions
    • How do users get Butlers that provide access to the released data products?
    • How does a Butler user follow the release of new Level 1 / nightly data?
  • Support for "older releases" (see LCR-908) (probably will not get to this this time)

15:00-15:30
break
15:30-17:00KS410

Detailed DAX API discussion

  • What is the full envelope of VO interfaces we'll provide?  What interfaces do we need for which no satisfactory VO interface exists?
    • ADQL support level.  Any limitations?
    • VOSpace. Any limitations?  Also WebDAV?  Third-party transfers?
  • extra API or special DB access needed by portal (besides metaServ, DBServ, and ImgServ), for example certain data exploration flow sequence,
K8s and notebook deployment

Thursday  

Time
Location
Topic
Possible breakout
08:30-10:00KS410

Further discussion of deployment

  • K8s, docker, more details
  • What is the batch / parallel computing model that will be exposed to Notebook users?
  • Next-to-DB processing architecture


Meta data for data holdings (continued from Data Model session)
10:00-10:30
break
10:30-12:00KS410

Detailed schedule and planning

  • Role of LSP in operations rehearsals
    • Need for simulations of real LSST datasets
    • Successively approach real data model
  • Generally review datasets to be handled (HSC, ZTF(?), Gaia, LSST-CatSim, LSST-PhoSim)
    • for PDAC, SV
  • Operations concept for transition of a data release from production through science validation to public release

    • How does the SV environment for DR(N+1) get access to the released data for DR(N)?

Table data formats:

  • Streaming-compatible formats?
  • Support for very large tabular results
  • VOTable usage - do we want the header but send the body a different way?
  • Options previously mentioned: FITS binary table, SQLite files
12:00-13:30
Lunch on our own (campus cafeteria or Lake Ave. restaurants)
13:30-15:00KS410

Review basic documentation & group summaries

LSP design document LDM-542:

  • Agree on a framework for detailed design documentation (in LDM-542 or in subsidiary documents)?
  • Confirm the list of instances of LSP: 
    • Original 5: integration/PDAC, science validation, comm'g cluster, US DAC, Chilean DAC
    • Do we need a "development environment" instance?

LSP verification and test plan

  • Aspect-level verification and testing
  • Integrated test of the LSP environment
    • Distinguish "verification" from "user testing" - both are needed
    • Annual "user testing" plans
  • Discuss needs for datasets for verification and testing
    • HSC, Gaia, LSST-Phosim, LSST-Catsim?  ZTF (data rights?)?
  • Review all existing LSP Level 2 and Level 3 milestones

15:00-15:30
break
15:30-17:00KS410To be identified by previous discussion

Friday  

Time
Location
Topic
08:30-10:00KS410Session 5A
Wrap-up of long-range planning
10:00-10:30
break
10:30-12:30KS410Session 5B
Wrap-up of short-range planning and action items
12:30-14:00Capital Seafood, ArcadiaDim-Sum lunch. Please let Xiuqin know if you would like to come.

Documents

Logistics

Hotel

Nearby restaurants

For lunch within walking distance: (of course Yelp provides more choices)

238 S Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101
Phone number (626) 796-1613

273 Shoppers Ln
Pasadena, CA 91101
Phone number (626) 793-8844
913 E California Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106Phone number (626) 795-1123
140 Shoppers Ln
Pasadena, CA 91101Phone number(626) 440-1008
146 S Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101Phone number(626) 304-7700
546 S Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101Phone number(626) 793-2600
200 S Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101Phone number(626) 535-9561
264 S Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101Phone number(626) 449-2005
246 S Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91106
Phone number(626) 229-9173
  • No labels